( @(user) ) Login/Signup Logout
The Dao Programming Language
for Scripting and Computing

Home Documentation Download Blog Forum Projects Demo
Latest News
Label: ♦english ♦news

[786] Dao 1.2 Beta1 is released!

Comment
After a very long time of development, the first beta release for Dao 1.2 is finally available (http://daovm.net/download ). Though it is still a beta release, it should be considerably more robust than any previous releases. Moreover this release is considered feature complete, it includes all the features I have planned. Also it worths mentioning that the license of Dao has been switched from GNU LGPL to the Simplified BSD License.

However, the documentations haven't been updated accordingly, but you can find a few examples for the new features in the demo directory. If you have any question, please ask on the forum (http://daovm.net/forum ) or in the mailing list (http://daovm.net/mailist ).

This release included many new features and improvements. Here I will mention just a few of the most prominent new features:
  • Abstract interface type:
    An abstract interface type is like a class with only abstract methods, which specify what methods must be implemented to be compatible with the interface. Class instances and C data types can be matched to such interface types if only if they implemented all the methods as specified by the interface types.
  • Meta fields
    Arbitrary number of objects can be associated to another object as meta fields by operator -> in form of obj1->field=obj2 . It can be used to do prototype based programming. Or it can be simply used to ensure an object is GC'd after another object.
  • Enum/flag/symbol type
    This type is more or less a combination C++ enum and Ruby symbol. It has the advantage of both, and can be used in situations where C++ enum or Ruby symbol are typically used.
  • Variant or disjoint union type
    Variant type is a combination of two or more types in form of type1|type2|... . A variable of a variant type can a hold value of any of the element type.
  • Runtime class creation
    Anonymous class can now be created in the same way as anonymous function.
  • Code section methods (similar to Ruby code blocks):
    Code section/block method is an alternative to functional methods in other languages such as Python. Unlike Ruby code blocks which are compiled as closure and passed as parameter(so it's essentially a syntax sugar), Dao code section is really a code section in its host function, no closure is created a runtime. When needed, the method locate the code section in the host function and run that section of codes.

Functional methods from Dao 1.1 are now replaced by a number of built-in code section methods which are more flexible than those functional methods. Moreover, the built-in module "mt" now have a number of parallelized code section methods which make parallel programming very easy.
  • Asynchronous class and future value:
    Asynchronous class is a class whose instance methods will be executed asynchronously, namely, calling a method on an instance object of such class will return a future value immediately, and the execution will be started in different thread. Such executions are scheduled such that only one method is actively executed for any single object at any time, namely, multiple executions on the same object are mutually exclusive. A future value can also be returned by the code section method mt.start::{ code_block }. Future values can be used to schedule the corresponding threads.
  • Typed function decorator:
    Function decorators are functions that modify the behavior of other functions. Unlike Python where decorator is little more than a syntax sugar, Dao function decorator can have strict type checking so that each function decorator can only be applied to certain functions based function type information.
  • DaoJIT, a LLVM-based JIT compiler for Dao:
    It can be enable from command line with option "-j". Please see DaoJIT Tests for some testing results.
  • ClangDao, Clang-based automatic binding tool:
    ClangDao uses the C/C++ frontend of Clang to parse C/C++ header files and generate proper wrapping codes for Dao. It has been used successfully to generate a number of binding for Dao, please see http://daovm.net/projects for a list of such bindings.
  • DaoCXX, a module for embedding C/C++ codes in Dao source codes:
    It is based on Clang as well. With this module one can embed C/C++ codes as verbatim string (another new feature) in Dao source codes, then DaoCXX will do the rest of the job to compile the C/C++ codes, and create proper interface for Dao. Examples are available with this module.
  • Many more such as:
    Hash map type, Customized for-in iteration, Data serialization, Template-like C data type, Auxiliary methods and Standard help system etc.

Please see ChangeLog for a more complete list, and thread/244 , thread/485 , thread/574 and thread/639 for more information.
Comments
Good news!

Unfortunately, I have been too busy to participate for some time and will stay so for the foreseeable future. But I will try to do basic testing on my machines.

The first bug: the link in the download section is broken, it should be: http://dao.googlecode.com/files/dao-1.2-beta1-2012-05-06.tgz (instead of dao-lang.google...)

The second bug: in the CMakeLists.txt, around lines 140, where there is IF(APPLE), add:
IF(APPLE)
    SET( CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS "-undefined dynamic_lookup" )
    if(${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME} MATCHES "Darwin")
        add_definitions(-DMAC_OSX)
    endif()
ENDIF()

Third bug/request: exiting the interpreter:
When compiled with readline support, CTRL-D doesn't quit the interpreter, but it should. Without readline that works well. In addition, the interpreter exits with a segmentation fault when I CTRL-C, but it shouldn't. On CTRL-C, I'd expect it to cancel the current line I started writing and show me an empty one, just like in bash. Or at least not crash.

With above mentioned changes, it compiles well on:
  • mac os x using gcc-4.2
  • mac os x using gcc-4.7 (macports)
  • mac os x using Xcode
and the runs both with and without "make install" step. I might check on more systems later.

Note: The -DMAC_OSX is needed by daoMain.c in order to avoid a missing readline function.

Edit: Just tested it on my openSuSE box with gcc 4.6 and it works there too. The CTRL-C crash is present there too.
Many thanks for the bug reports. Now the link is fixed (copy&paste is really prone to mistakes). Don't worry about not having much time to participate the development, it's totally understandable.

Change picture:

Choose file:
Visitor Map This site is powered by Dao
Copyright (C) 2009-2013, daovm.net.
Webmaster: admin at daovm dot net