( @(user) ) Login/Signup Logout
The Dao Programming Language
for Scripting and Computing

Home Documentation Download Blog Forum Projects Demo
Latest News
Label: ♦english

[783] Switching to Fossil for version control of Dao projects

Comment
Fossil is a very interesting distributed version control system I found from Lua mailing list recently. It has a number of nice features, including integrated bug tracking and wiki system, autosync mode, self-contained source codes and executable, SQLite database storage and easy use etc.

After some trying, I am convinced that it should be a good idea to switch to use Fossil for version control and host Dao project repositories on daovm.net . Having an integrated bug tracking and wiki system in Fossil, makes it a quite natural choice to host the repositories on this site without the trouble of using other code hosting sites. It have been suggested to have A central place for dao code-snippets, examples or small modules , Fossil seems to be a simple solution for this. Having the website and Dao project repositories hosted on the same server, a number of interesting things could be done, such as extract and display information from the repositories, or storing site data to an repository etc.

For Dao projects, I am considering to make some minor adjusts and organize them in the following way:
  1. dao: for Dao Virtual Machine, and a few standard modules and tools that are essential and/or are directly related to Dao, and have no dependency on libraries other than the standard C libraries and core system libraries.
  2. dao-modules: for standard modules that are maintained officially and will be included in the official releases. Such modules should be lightweight and as portable as the dao itself, preferably have no dependency on libraries other than the standard C libraries and standard system libraries. Exceptions can be made for modules that are extremely useful, e.g. DaoJIT and DaoCXX.
  3. dao-tools: for standard tools that are maintained officially and will be included in the official releases. Such tools should be lightweight and as portable as the dao itself, preferably have no dependency on libraries other than the standard C libraries and standard system libraries. Exceptions can be made for tools that are extremely useful, e.g. ClangDao.
  4. dao-extras: for non-standard modules and tools that are maintained officially and will be released synchronously with Dao but in separate packages. Such modules and tools may depend on non-standard but portable libraries. They should have have preferably small or medium sizes. Big modules such DaoVTK and DaoQT etc. should have their own repositories.
  5. dao-gadgets: for Dao code-snippets, examples or small modules.
  6. Others: daostudio for the Dao IDE; daovtk for the DaoVTK module; daoqt for the DaoQT module etc.

The current dao repository hosted at dao.googlecode.com will be divided into dao , dao-modules (for modules DaoCXX, DaoJIT, graph, net, os, stream, string, sync, web) and dao-tools (for ClangDao etc.).
Comments
If I understand it correctly, you want to completely switch? If so then:
  • Put a note about this (along with a link) on the google code project page, like how http://code.google.com/p/avbin/ does it.
  • Remove the Dao@GoogleCode link in this site's "Links" sidebar.
  • Put a "Projects" link in the "Site Map" on the left too, for consistency. (And blind users like me.)
  • Should we now use the google code or the fossil bugtracker? If the latter, you should disable the google code one.

Not completely, but mostly. New revisions will be regularly pushed to the repository on google code (maybe also github), so that people who don't want to use fossil can also get updated codes. Also it could serve as the principle or backup download archive.

I agree those links should be removed from those prominent places. They can be moved to somewhere in the download page.

New bug reports should be submitted to the fossil ticket system, I will make it clear on the webpages. The one on google code will be disabled after all the issues there have been properly closed (it will take a while).

Change picture:

Choose file:
Visitor Map This site is powered by Dao
Copyright (C) 2009-2013, daovm.net.
Webmaster: admin at daovm dot net